Three different ebook subscription services have launched in the past month, and now that the market has grown nicely crowded I think it is past time for a comparison.
The following post matches up 6 different services that are available in the US or globally, including the well-known Safari Books Online as well as:
- Oyster offers 100,000 titles, but few are frontlist and few are bestsellers.
- eReatah offers 90,000 titles from a smaller selection of publishers, but they also have each publisher’s complete catalog and not just a selection of less popular titles.
- Amazon boasts that the Kindle Owner’s Lending Library stocks over 370 thousand titles, about half of which were added via KDP Select.
- Scribd boasts a collection in the “tens of thousands”, but they have not been more specific than that,
- Safari has a catalog of some 32,000 ebooks, most of which are technical and academic titles.
- 24Symbols has under 20,000 titles in their catalog.
- Oyster costs $10 a month for unlimited access.
- eReatah costs between $15 and $30 a month for a subscription that buys 2, 3 or 4 ebooks each month.
- Kindle Owner’s Lending Library comes as part of an Amazon Prime membership, and in the US that costs $79 per year but includes other extras like free 2 day shipping and free streaming video. You are limited to borrowing a single ebook title each month.
- Scribd costs $9 a month for unlimited access.
- Safari has tiered plans starting at $28 a month.
- 24Symbols cost between 9 euros per month and 60 euros per year.
Oyster and eReatah are only available in the US. The other services are available globally, though the Kindle Owner’s Lending Library is only available to Kindle owners in the US, UK, and other select markets.
- Oyster launched their pilot with an iPhone app. They are planning an iPad and Android apps.
- eReatah offers apps for Android, iPad, or iPhone.
- Scribd has iPhone, Android, and iPad apps, and you can read in your web browser.
- Kindle Owner’s Lending Library is only available on a Kindle.
- Safari Books Online has iPhone, Android, and iPad apps, and you can read in your web browser.
- 24Symbols has apps for iPhone, Android, and iPad.